The Governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Gaidam has blamed the abduction of the Dapchi schoolgirls on the recent withdrawal of security personnel from communities in the state.
Addressing journalists on Saturday at the Yobe state Government House, he alleged that security check points were withdrawn from Dapchi and other communities, few days before the attack, a development which he believes gave room for the incident.
“There was not any justification whatsoever to withdraw the military from that place, knowing fully well that there is a girls’ school there with about 900 of them and it’s a local government headquarters.
“They withdrew the military personnel last week, which was not even known to us,” he said.
This comes days after the state government claimed that some of the girls had been found, only to counter the statement later, as none had actually been rescued.
The hopes of parents were dashed, even as they continue to demand the rescue of their children.
As part of their efforts to drive home their demand, the parents formed an association through which they were able to ascertain that 105 girls were actually still missing.
The students were said to have disappeared from their school, Government Girls Science and Technical College Dapchi, in Yobe state, after gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists invaded the school on Monday.
Governor Gaidam has, however, promised that the government will stop at nothing to ensure the girls are rescued.
He also noted that he had called the attention of the Theatre Commander who has promised to restore the presence of the military personnel to the state.